Saturday, January 2, 2016

Thoughts on Resolutions

Why do we make resolutions? It is already day 2 of 2016 - flying bye? I guess it depends on who you ask. The other day Eli snuck out of his pack n play at Grandma and Grandpas and ran down the stairs, ran up to me and said, "Mom, I slept so long!!" Mind you, this was after being up there for 5 minutes... My soon-to-be-brother (in-law) said that if you think about it, after only 2 years of life, 5 minutes probably DOES seem like a long time! Haha! I always say with Eli, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Anyway... why do we make resolutions? Have you already broken some of your resolutions, like to not drink coffee (yeah right!) or run a mile every day? I usually write my resolutions down somewhere and come across them about a year later when I'm writing down my NEW resolutions and realize I maybe made it half way through January before I forgot most of them. Ooops:/

But looking back on the past few years and then looking at my resolutions, I realize that some of my biggest achievements were not written down on December 31st to try to achieve the next year. They were actually things that I had no idea I even wanted or needed.


  • 2013 - I wanted to graduate and run a half marathon! FAIL - Instead I got pregnant, welcomed a beautiful baby boy, and JASON graduated.
  • 2014 - This year my goal was to graduate(again) and run a marathon- SUCCESS! However, we also bought a house.
  • 2015 - I'm sure my goals looked something like - Run a marathon, become super woman, blah blah blah - FAIL/SUCCESS - depends on who you ask... I did get pregnant again and birthed another beautiful baby (this time a girl). I'd say that puts me on a super woman level and labor basically equaled running a marathon (just ask ANY woman that has gone through pregnancy, labor and delivery). BUT we also welcomed a new puppy, became self employed, and I completed real estate school and passed my exams this year!



So what I'm saying is - Becoming a mother in 2013, Buying a house in 2014, becoming a mother again & buying a business/becoming self employed in 2015 were not on my resolutions list at all, but they are by far my all time greatest achievements.

I did make a list for 2016:
  1. Get Healthy
  2. Be Present and Engaging 
  3. Spotlight God in my life and relationships
  4. Read 5 books
  5. Be Optimistic
  6. Love as best I can
  7. Grow my Etsy, Shaklee, wedding planning, and help Jason with the gym
  8. And of course - drink ATLEAST 1 cup of coffee every day.


How many of those will I succeed at? Not sure, but atleast it gives me something to try to work towards to be the best ME I can be.

Basically my point is, it is great to make goals, but even more important than that is to leave your life and future open to what God's plan is! I never could have dreamt up motherhood, college graduate, wedding planner, home owner, self employed - business owner &&& wife all before I said hello to my 25th birthday, but God is so good and obviously quite the dream supporter<3 Happy 2016 my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Cari, you never cease to amaze! Your perspective on life is wise beyond your years, and I DO attribute much of that to allowing God to work in your life. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete